Friday, September 25, 2015

Goji-Hibiscus Infusion

I like to do things simply. When I discovered the benefits of Goji berries as a superfood, I was determined to bring them into my diet. When I buy them at Whole Foods they are chewy and soft to suck on raw just like that. But then I went and bought some on Amazon and they were dry and hard to chew on.


How to Make Goji Infusion

That's when I discovered Goji water. You just soak the Goji berries on enough water to cover them for about two hours and voila! The color is a pale orange and the taste is super sweet just like the goji berries themselves. The color reminded me of one of my favorite teas, hibiscus and ginger tea. So I decided to experiment with this.

How to Make Hibiscus Infusion

To make your own hibiscus infusion (aqua de Jamaica) just find the hibiscus dried flower (generally placed close to the teas in supermarkets) and boil them in enough water for around 2 minutes until the flowers have yielded all their power. Experiment with this because less water will result in a deep red very concentrated infusion and more will result in a clearer infusion. Find how you like it. You can add a little bit of ginger powder if you have any, and raw honey to taste. Just be aware that if you will combine the two infusions, you need less honey because the goji infusion is naturally super sweet. Then just serve warm or place in the refrigerator for a fresh cold drink later.



Options to combine

1. Make both infusions and simply pour together.

2. Make the goji infusion ahead and pour into ice trays. Then place those ice cubes into your hot Hibiscus infusion to cool and serve.

3. Make the hibiscus infusion first, store in the refrigerator for a few hours and then pour some goji berries in. Leave to soak for at least two hours. Drain the berries and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment